Adapted from a recipe from this recipe Smitten Kitchen.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 1-2 jalepeno peppers, finely chopped
- 5 cloves, garlic, minced
- 2 T chili powder
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1.5 t salt
- 1 12oz bottle of beer
- 1 28-oz can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 c mixed dried beans – I like Rancho Gordo Santa Maria Pinquito, Ayocote Negro, and organic red kidney beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Pressure cook the beans in 4 cups of water
- Heat 1 T of canola oil in a dutch oven. Add onion and salt and cook until translucent (~5 mins). Add jalapeno peppers and cook for 5 more mins. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt and cook for 2 minutes, until deeply fragrant. Add beer and boil until reduced by half or until it has disappeared.
- Add tomatoes, dried beans, cooking liquid from the pressure cooker. Bring mixture to a full boil and boil for one minute, then reduce heat to a very low, gentle simmer, place a lid on your pot, and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir every 10 mins or so and add broth if the mixture gets dry.