- 1 cup dried lentils (preferably Le Puy green lentils, rinsed well)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 tspn dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, or 1/4 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tspn lemon zest
- 1/2 tspn ground cumin
- 1/4 tspn sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and diced small
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, rinsed and sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces crumbled organic feta cheese
Combine lentils, garlic, oregano, garlic, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick in a sauce pan and cover with water or broth by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then cover, lower the heat, and simmer, until the lentils are tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain the lentils thoroughly and discard the whole spices.
In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, and salt together. Toss the lentils with the vinaigrette, then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Stir in the bell peppers, cucumbers, olive, mint, parsley and combine. Then do a FASS check – and season as needed with a few pinches of salt, pepper, or lemon juice. Serve with the feta cheese sprinkled over the top.